Feb. 19 - 21, 2018
Jefferson City, Mo.
Legislative Academy is a one-of-a-kind opportunity for 4-H teens to be ambassadors for Missouri 4-H at the heart of Missouri state government in Jefferson City. Youth delegates from across the state are selected by 4-H to meet with executive, legislative, and judicial state government leaders. Highlights also include shadowing state legislators, and meeting with commodity groups, state agencies, and major supporters of the 4-H program.
The Academy provides teens with opportunities to share their 4-H experiences and success stories, while gaining leadership and citizenship skills for careers in public service, law, journalism, public relations, lobbying, and related fields.
2018 Academy Summary (PDF)
What Youth Are Saying:
The most important thing Academy delegates say they gained from the experience…
- “How to talk to adults and ‘really important’ people.”
- “Information on agriculture commodity groups and relationships with representatives.”
- “What partnerships have to do with 4-H and what we can do to help.”
- “How the government works. It isn’t like TV at all. You experience it.”
- “It definitely showed me what you can do with journalism degrees.”
- “This pushes me closer to my career. I want to take political science and law courses.”
- “I received an internship with my representative’s office as a result of this trip.”