Shooting Sports events
Western Heritage and Cowboy Shooting
Have Fun Today & Step into the Past!
The Old West:
Where: West of the Mississippi
Who: Cowboys, outlaws, pioneers, bankers, ranchers, sod busters, schoolmarms, buffalo hunters, undertakers, lawmen, railroaders, scouts, miners, native Americans, former soldiers, gamblers, entertainers, etc.
The 4-H Western Heritage Project combines a study of the Old West with a different type of 4-H shooting – western action shooting. The purpose of this project is to provide an avenue for 4-H members and adult leaders to experience the lifestyles and cultures of the American frontier during the period of 1860- 1900 through a living history approach to learning while instilling the concepts of gun safety and personal responsibility.
Project Goals and Purpose
- The learning and application of safe firearm handling.
- Preserving and gaining an appreciation for the heritage of the Old West within the time period of 1860-1900.
- Living history education through the use of historically accurate firearms, clothing, and accessories
- Encourage interest in American history that will lead to personal research and increased knowledge of the Old West.
Western Heritage & Cowboy Shooting Warm-up & Workshop
Sunday, April 24
Polk Co. Fairgrounds
- Period Clothing & Character Development Workshop
- Sample – Western Heritage Knowledge quiz
- Timed Cowboy Shooting Match (for experienced members)
- Cowboy Shooting Workshop (for newer, inexperienced members)
8:30 – 9:15 a.m. Check-in
9:30: Opening assembly
Orientation - the Day’s agenda
??? Event concludes (when it’s over)
Registration Deadline: April 15
$10 registration fee -Fee includes the noon meal. Ammo provided for .22, .38, .45 & shotgun (12, 20, .410)
$10 - Meal cost for parents, siblings, other guests. (When youth participant registers, there will be option to indicate guests – and pay for everyone…at time of youth registration. No adult or guest registration required.
Registration can be found on Missouri 4-H Online.
Warm-up & Workshop Details form can be found below.
Missouri 4-H Age Guidelines
Rimfire rifle only
Previously completed 1 year of 4-H Rifle (air or smallbore)
3 guns - Rimfire rifle, Rimfire pistol/revolver, & Shotgun (.410 – 20 – 16 - 12)
14 yrs. & older
3 guns – Rifle, revolver & shotgun
Rimfire OR Central-fire (.38 - .45 – etc.)
4-H Western Heritage project competition will consist of 3 areas. A 4-H member is expected to keep with “The Spirit of the Game” must compete in all 3 areas.
- Cowboy Action Shooting - 50%
- Timed event (quickest wins)
- Steel targets (hit or miss)
- Penalties given for misses, safety violations and procedural mistakes – which adds to the time.
- Two divisions in Senior competition: Rimfire and Central-fire
- Period Clothing/character development - 25%
- Western Knowledge quiz/test - 25%
2015 national 4-H Western Heritage Conference and Invitational Cowboy Shoot; hosted by Missouri 4-H.
Resources for all project levels
These websites have been chosen by 4-H faculty for their educational content. No endorsement of products is given or implied. Please contact us if you find a broken link or other problem.