State 4-H Public Speaking Contest
Prepared Speaking Rules
This is the noble, “traditional” category from past Missouri State 4-H Public Speaking Contests. Speeches may be on any topic of the participant’s choice that are in good taste for a group of peers and adults.
Prepared Speaking Category Contest Rules
- Speeches are to be 3-5 minutes in length for Juniors (ages 8-10), 4-6 minutes in length for Intermediates (ages 11-13) and 5-7 minutes in length for Seniors (ages 14-18). Points will be deducted for speeches not meeting these parameters. When speakers have met the minimum time, a judge will hold up a green card. When 30 seconds remain until time is expired, the judge will hold up a red card. The speaker should then wrap up to avoid a point deduction (3 points).
- Judges decisions are final.
- Notes on index cards are perfectly acceptable. However, no props or visual aids may be used.
- The speech must have be an original work, written by the person giving the speech. Topics must be appropriate to the standards of a 4-H event and appropriate for all ages.
- First place Intermediate and Senior Division finishers from a previous State 4-H Public Speaking Contest may not enter the same category and age group a second time.
- Have fun: First and foremost, you are here to gain experience, celebrate your skills, and meet others with an interest in public speaking!
Resources for all project levels